When summer temperature rises, people use air conditioners to lower the air temperature of their home. The simplest and most economical way to cool your home is with a window air conditioner. As the name suggests, a window air conditioner is a room air conditioner that sits in a window or wall opening, with interior controls. Interior air is cooled as a fan blows it over the evaporator. On the exterior the air is heated as a second fan blows it over the condenser.
In addition, you need to find out if the unit fits in smaller windows. Not everybody has standard sized windows, so being able to install a unit on smaller windows is a plus. Also, you will want to know if the air conditioner unit is suitable for vertical/horizontal windows.
- Savings For Air Conditioners[Today Deals]
- Choosing the Right Window Air Conditioner
- 1. BTUs & Room Sizes:
- What’s The BTU of the Air Conditioner and How Efficient It Is at Cooling?
- 2. Ease of Installation:
- 3. Operation Noise Level – Is It Quiet Or Loud?
- 4. Air Distribution – Are Directional Air flow Vents Good?
- 5. Power Consumption:
- 6. Displays And Controls:
- 7. Dehumidification – Does The Air Conditioner Dry The Air Too Much Or Can It Dry The Air If Necessary?
- 8. Quality Of Window Supports:
- 9. Type Of Filters Used:
- 10. Timer:
- Related Reviews & Guides
Savings For Air Conditioners[Today Deals]
|1||Black + Decker BPACT10WT Portable Air Conditioner,...||$409.99||Buy on Amazon|
|2||SereneLife SLPAC8 8,000 BTU Portable Air...||$289.99||Buy on Amazon|
|3||Frigidaire 5,000 BTU 115V Window-Mounted...||$209.99 $184.99||Buy on Amazon|
|4||Whynter Elite ARC-122DS 12,000 BTU Dual Hose...||$424.07||Buy on Amazon|
|5||Tripp Lite Portable Air Conditioner for Server...||$1,098.00 $674.01||Buy on Amazon|
Choosing the Right Window Air Conditioner
1. BTUs & Room Sizes:
What’s The BTU of the Air Conditioner and How Efficient It Is at Cooling?
The BTU is the single most important feature in any air conditioner. It practically determines the space an air conditioner can efficiently cool. The temperature range that the air conditioner can support will be a very big factor in your decisions. The following BTUs and Room Sizing Guide should be useful:
|AREA TO BE COOLED (SQUARE FEET)||BTUS PER HOUR REQUIRED)|
|100 – 150||5,000|
|150 – 250||6,000|
|250 – 300||7,000|
|300 – 350||8,000|
|350 – 400||9,000|
|400 – 450||10,000|
|450 – 550||12,000|
|550 – 700||14,000|
|700 – 1000||18,000|
|1000 – 1200||21,000|
|1200 – 1400||23,000|
|1400 – 1500||24,000|
|1500 – 2000||30,000|
|2000 – 2500||34,000|
2. Ease of Installation:
Installation is a burden for some people and having detailed installation instructions and all the necessary materials (like foams for insulation and sealing) is a huge help.
3. Operation Noise Level – Is It Quiet Or Loud?
These units are used in living rooms or bedrooms during the hot months, so being quiet is a huge plus. However, differnt people have different definitions of “loud”; one product can be too loud for some and very quiet for others.
FYI: There are two parts than can produce noise: the compressor and the fan. The compressor creates a humming noise while the fans create some kind of whirling noise.
- QUIET & POWERFUL - Our 6,000 BTU DOE (10,000 BTU ASHRAE)...
- PERFECT FOR SMALL ROOMS - This floor-standing portable AC...
- Dimensions: 14.6’’ L x 13.8’’ W x 27.2’’ H |...
- Your purchase includes: Portable Air Conditioner, Window...
- Install it at the window to maintain a steady temperature in...
- Control the temperature prolifically with 1465.36 W cooling...
- 12,000 BTU (ASHRAE) / 7,000 BTU (SACC) cooling capacity
- Three operational modes: air conditioner, fan or...
- Small portable air conditioner: this rolling, self...
- 12,000 btu of cooling power: this AC unit delivers...
4. Air Distribution – Are Directional Air flow Vents Good?
Most consumers do not want their air conditioners to blow cold air directly into the room and use directional vents to blow the air towards the ceiling, etc. How well do the directional air flow vents work?
5. Power Consumption:
Using an air conditioner unit during the summer can be a huge burden on some consumers’ budgets. Hence, it will be a big advantage if the air conditioner is energy-efficient and does not increase the power bill too much.
The power needed to run an air conditioner is tied to its EER (Energy Efficiency Rating). An Energy Star-certified window unit only need to achieve between 9.4 and 10.7, depending on size. You should try to buy a window unit rated higher than this minimum.
6. Displays And Controls:
A window air conditioner which has a touchpad with large LED displays, large and uncrowded buttons, clear labeling, and digital temperature readouts, will be much easier to use. If the controls are designed poorly, the user will have problems using the unit with maximum efficiency. Temperature displays will also make the unit much more user friendly.
There are two types of controls used in air conditioners: mechanical and electronic. Electronic controls are superior since they allow a lot more functions (like timers, sleep mode, etc.) and also prevent the unit from short cycling (which means the unit doesn’t come on/go off within short periods).
Remote controls provide additional value for anyone who uses an air conditioner unit. Sleep mode, timer, fan speed, operating mode, etc. are some of the most common functions found in a remote control. The more functions the remote control has the better it will be for added convenience.
Some newer air conditioners have auto settings where you set the desired temperature and air conditioner maintains it without needlessly blowing ice cold air all the time. This is very good for energy-saving.
7. Dehumidification – Does The Air Conditioner Dry The Air Too Much Or Can It Dry The Air If Necessary?
Certain air conditioner models may tend to dry the ambient too much, giving people throat problems. If the model you are looking at has a way to prevent this (some models use the water accumulated in the drip pan to humidify the air), it will be a huge plus.
On the other hand, people living in hot and humid areas will need units that effectively dry the air. And the dehumidifying mode can also be used in spring and autumn, which is an added value for the consumer.
8. Quality Of Window Supports:
Most window air conditioners come with supports that close any gaps left in the window. If the supports are not well built, you may need to purchase and use additional supports.
9. Type Of Filters Used:
Anti-bacterial filters are a big plus for any air conditioner unit. Plus, having washable filters is a plus since it will reduce the money they’ll spend on replacement filters. Are the filters easy to remove and clean.
A timer can be a huge plus ‘cos people don’t like to accidentally leave their air conditioner units on when they fall asleep while watching TV, etc. Having a timer will make it possible for them to set the air conditioner to turn off at a specific time. It will not only protect their health but will also decrease power bills.
3. Best window air conditioner for small room up to 150 square feet – Frigidaire FRA054XT7 5,000 BTU Window-Mounted Mini Room Air Conditioner:
2. Best window air conditioner for medium room up to 350 square feet – LG LW8012ER 8,000 BTU Window-Mounted Air Conditioner with Remote Control (115 volts):
3. Best window air conditioner for large room up to 500 square feet – Frigidaire FRA106CV1 10,000 BTU 115-Volt Window-Mounted Compact Air Conditioner with Temperature Sensing Remote Control: