Overview: Hedge Trimmer regularly is an essential part of summer maintenance to ensure healthy growth and a tidy appearance. If you’re not sure which hedge trimmer you need, the following guide should ensure you have the information you need to make an informed decision.
Gas or Electric?
There are two types of hedge trimmers on the market: Gas powered and Electric powered (either cord or cordless). Gas powered models offer more power, but electric models are more popular. Most users prefer electric models since they are lighter, convenient and environment friendly.
Hedge trimmer power is expressed in terms of Amps for electric models and CC for gas powered models. The power of the motor will determine the overall effectiveness of the trimmer.
StansTips Savings For Hedge Trimmer [Today Deals]
|1||BLACK+DECKER 40V MAX Cordless Hedge Trimmer,...||$133.30||Check Latest Price|
|2||DEWALT DCHT820B Hedge Trimmer||$149.00 $139.00||Check Latest Price|
|3||Husqvarna 122HD60 21.7cc Gas 23.7-in Dual Action...||$349.99||Check Latest Price|
|4||Poulan Pro PR2322 22-Inch 23cc 2 Cycle Gas Powered...||$199.99||Check Latest Price|
|5||DEWALT 20V MAX Hedge Trimmer, Tool Only (DCPH820B)||$147.99||Check Latest Price|
1. Cutting Capacity
The cutting capacity is always expressed in terms of thickness. A more powerful model can easily cut branches/bushes up to 1 inch thick, while some others begin to slow down after 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch. This is one of the cases where more power is always good. The higher the capacity, the better it will be for the user. However, if you don’t really need to cut that thick branches/brush, you wouldn’t need to pay more.
What’s the blade length?
The length of the blade is another important factor since it determines the reach. The longer the blade, the less you will have to move to cut the farthest bushes/branches. Most models on the market offer 22 to 24 inches. 22 inches are enough to get the job done in most cases, however, some users may require more than that.
How good are the blades?
The quality and functionality of the blades will be the ultimate factor that affects the performance. Most new and decent models offer dual action blades that not only cut much faster and effortlessly, but also greatly reduce vibration.
3. Handle Ergonomic
- One of the most important features is the ergonomics of the handle.
- Most people usually have to cut vertically almost half of the time, and a handle that is not well designed can cause serious fatigue and even cramps.
- Fortunately, most models on the market have been designed with vertical use in mind, so there will be very few units that fail in this regard.
Hint: Always choose a model that’s suitable for vertical cuts.
4. Weight Factor
The weight of the trimmer is another important factor. A heavy unit will cause fatigue quickly, and will make over the head usage almost impossible.
- In addition to the weight, the balance is very important too. A well balanced trimmer will help minimize fatigue and provide much better control even if it’s a bit heavier than other models.
- And the last factor that affects convenience and usability will be the vibrations.
- If the trimmer vibrates too much, the users will have a very hard time making good cuts, not to mention suffering from fatigue much sooner than they should.
6. Electric Cord
- Is the cord long enough? Is there a hook that keeps the cord in place to prevent accidental unplugging?
- Since most new models are electric, the cord will be an important factor. It should be long enough to provide users with enough range. In addition, there should be some kind of a hook or something that keeps the cord secure and prevents accidental unplugging.
- However, if the cord is short, you can always use an extension cord, as long as the trimmer works well and the price is right. I’m sure you wouldn’t mind using an extension cord.
7. The Battery
- If the trimmer is cordless, there are two important factors that you need to consider:
- First, how long can the trimmer work with a single charge?
- Second, the time the battery takes to recharge will be the next important factor, especially if the battery doesn’t last for long.
8. Safety Features
Is there a safety lock?
Some advanced models have trigger locks that can be used in two ways: lock-on and lock-off. The lock-on feature offers continuous operation without the need to press any buttons or triggers and the lock-off prevents accidental starting (especially important if the user has kids).