Do you know? How to Make a Camping Tent from Scratch? Making a camp from scratch is an essential skill that you need to learn if you want to experience the true thrill and joy of camping. Of course, you can always get the easy to set up tents, but there are many cases where you might need to make a tent from scratch.
- STAY DRY: Waterproof rainfly with a 360-degree ventilation system for...
- ROOM WITH A VIEW: Get away from the city lights and enjoy a full view of...
- EASY TO SET UP: Lightweight tent packs down tight for backpacking, hiking...
For example, if you forgot to take your tent with you or you need to camp because of unforeseen circumstances, you need to learn to set up a DIY tent so that you can create a safe place to stay for yourself. So, how do you make a tent in the forest?
In this article, we are going to share with you the complete guide to make a tent for your camping trip.
How Do You Make a Camping Tent from Scratch?
Before we get into the actual process for setting up a tent from scratch, let’s talk about some of the essential items that you need to have to facilitate the camp setup process.
Instant Saving For Tent Tools [DEALs]
- Made of the highest quality materials
- Camping Tents Accessories
- Another quality Coleman product
- Designed to contain spray and debris when cutting tile or masonry material
- 47 by 60 by 62 inches and weighs 35 pounds
- Heavy gauge waterproof plastic flooring contains the water spray
- This is an official Creality manufactured tent designed for use with...
- ABS is a filament that is printed at a higher temperature than PLA and the...
- Prevent your nosey pets from interfering with prints by using this...
- Keyfit Tools All Terrain Tent Stake Screw In Tent Stake Ground Anchor With...
- Self Drilling Cutting Tip Solid Steel ~ Case Hardened Grade 8 Steel Heat...
- Secura Strap for Easy Anchoring High Winds No Problem ~10 inch length for...
- Compact Emergency Shelter: The Go Time Gear Life Tent is a weatherproof...
- Waterproof and Windproof: Our emergency storm shelter weighs just 8.7oz and...
- Quick Set-Up: Our thermal emergency tube tent sets up fast between trees....
Prerequisites: What Materials Do You Need to Make a Tent?
Here are some essential things that you need to get to make a tent from scratch
- Waterproof Tarp sheets
- Poles for setting up the tent
Most Important Read: How To Choose Right Family Camping Tent In 2021? [Guide]
Here is the complete process that you can use for building a camping tent
Step 1: Find and Prepare the Camping Spot
The choice of the camping spot is a crucial part of the process. You need to find a flat surface that doesn’t have any kind of bumps. Find the perfect place where you can easily rest your back when laying down.
Remove any kinds of leaves, stones, heavy rocks, and twigs from the surface. Also, make sure that the surface is slightly damp so that you can easily place the central post of the tent. You should also get a sleeping bag for a safer sleeping experience at night.
Step 2: Set up the Tarp
You need to place the tarp on the flat surface. After that, you need to make small holes that you are going to use to attach the tarp to the posts. You need to make holes on each of the corners of the tarp for all sides of the tent. This is where you are going to tie the rope later on.
Step 3: Secure the Tarp
This is one of the most important parts of the process and is going to determine the shape of the tent. You need to stretch the tarp from all its corners in a way that all the corners lie diagonally from one another. You can use a stick to place the tarp into the ground so that it doesn’t get messed up when you are working with other corners.
Step 4: Building the Walls
Now, you need to drive the corner holes of the tarp into the ground using a heavy object like a stone. If you have a hammer, you can put more force into the posts to make the walls even stronger. Drive the poles of the tent through the holes and keep at it till you are certain that the walls are all set up.
Step 5: Strongly Tie the Knots
The last step requires tying the knots. It is important for building the tent and also for securing the tent. You need to secure each corner of the tarp over the rope. Tie the knots strongly to strongly tie the corners of the tarp to the poles. You can also place heavy rocks at each corner of the tent to make it more sturdy. Don’t place the rope too high.
Diy Camping Tent FAQs
How Do You Make a Tent Without a Tent?
You can use a tarp for that. You need to find a flat surface and then place the tarp there. After that, you can follow the above guide to make a tent without a tent.
Can I Make My Tent?
Yes, you can make a DIY tent, all by yourself. The above-mentioned guide will take you through the process of making your own tent.
How Do You Make a Homemade Tent?
You need a waterproof tarp, poles, and a rope to make the tent. The entire process is going to require you to find a camping spot and then preparing it for camping. After that, you can place the tarp on the flat surface set up the camp according to the instructions mentioned in this guide.
How Do You Make a Canvas Tent?
Canvas tents can be made the same way as Tarp tents. The process for setting up the canvas and tarp tents is similar. It is just that these materials have different looks and feel. Canvas looks more rugged than a tarp. You can follow our “how to make a camping tent from scratch” guide to learn to make a canvas tent.
Related Camping Tents Review & Guides
- Coleman Evanston 8 Screened Tent [Legit Review]
- Eureka Titan 8 Person Tent Review [Quick-start Guide]
- Glossary of Tent Terminology [A Review In 2021]
- Coleman Instant Tents 4 6 And 8 Persons [A Review]
- Eureka Copper Canyon 6 Tent Review [2021 Updated]
- Kodiak Canvas Flex Bow Deluxe 8 Person Canvas Tent Review